Shipping classes can be used to group products of similar type and used by some shipping methods, such as Flat Rate Shipping, to provide different rates to different classes of product.
For example, with shipping classes and Flat Rate Shipping, it’s possible to create different flat rate costs for different product types, like bulky items and small items.
Add Shipping Classes ↑ Back to top
- Go to: WooCommerce > Settings > Shipping > Shipping Classes.
The screen lists existing classes.
- Click the Add Shipping Class button beneath the table. A new row appears.
- Enter a Shipping Class Name and description. Slug (unique identifier) can be left blank and auto-generated, or you can enter one.
Save Shipping Classes.
Edit and Delete Shipping Classes ↑ Back to top
To edit or remove a shipping class:
1. Hover over Shipping Class Name. Options appear.
- Click Edit to revise the name, slug or description. Or click Remove to delete the shipping class.
3. Save Shipping Classes.
Assign shipping classes to products ↑ Back to top
To apply these rates to a specific class of products (e.g., bulky or heavy items), you need to assign them.
- Go to: WooCommerce > Products.
Select the product, and click Edit.
- Go to Shipping, and select the Shipping Class from the dropdown.
Each product can have one shipping class.
- Update the product to save changes.
Bulk-Edit Shipping Classes ↑ Back to top
To bulk-edit shipping classes:
1. Go to: WooCommerce > Products.
- Select the products you want to edit by ticking boxes on the left-hand side.
- Select Edit from the Bulk Actions dropdown, then Apply. A new screen appears.
Select a shipping class from the dropdown.
- Update to save changes.
Debug Mode ↑ Back to top
After making changes to shipping settings, we recommend temporarily enabling Shipping Debug Mode.
- Go to: WooCommerce > System Status > Tools.
- Tick the Enabled checkbox for Shipping Debug Mode.
This disables shipping caches so you see immediate results of your shipping setting changes.
View the shipping rates and classes to confirm changes.
Disable by repeating steps 1-3, except untick the box.