Overview ↑ Back to top
WooCommerce Memberships is an extension for WooCommerce that allows you to restrict your content so that it’s only accessible to members on your site. Customers can get access to a membership by purchasing a product, or you can choose to only create memberships by manually assigning them to customers.
Memberships are valid for an unlimited time or set length (i.e., one year), but can be recurring when Memberships is used alongside of WooCommerce Subscriptions.
Memberships can restrict your posts, pages, and custom post types (such as portfolios) so that only members can access them. You can also restrict WooCommerce products; Memberships integrates tightly with WooCommerce to allow you to prevent viewing a product, or only restrict purchasing that product to members while allowing it to be publicly viewed.
Memberships allows you to schedule when members should have access to content, known as content dripping. If customers sign up for a membership, you can determine how long they have to wait to gain access to certain content in terms of days, weeks, months, or years.
Table of Contents ↑ Back to top
Here are Memberships documents (by category). If you’re just getting started, the Quick Start can help you with Memberships basics.
- Quick Start / Introduction
- Restriction Modes & Settings
- Membership Plans
- User Memberships
- Restricting Content
- Importing and Exporting
FAQ and Roadmap
- WooCommerce Subscriptions
- WooCommerce Product Vendors
- WooCommerce Brands
- Groups for WordPress
- User Switching plugin
- Data Structure Overview
- Frontend Hooks Reference
- Admin Hooks Reference
- Functions & Conditional Checks
- CLI Reference
- Guide: Adjusting Member Exports
Tutorials & Snippets
** = Beginner PHP Skills required
*** = Intermediate / advanced PHP skills required
- Snippet Samples *
- Automatically send member coupons *
- Add a Lock Icon to Restricted Posts *
- Send monthly subscriber coupons *
- Set up split / installment payments *
- Renewing a trial with a different plan **
- Add Social Login to notices **
- Customize the Member Area ***
- Add Custom Member Area Sections ***
- Repeating a Fixed-Date Membership ***
- Some other “for devs” tutorials here
Looking for a new feature? You can view the idea board and vote for new ones!
Other helpful plugins ↑ Back to top
Here are some third-party plugins that work well with Memberships and / or Subscriptions. Please note that these add-ons may not be specifically supported by our teams and may be from other authors, so they’re use-at-your-own-risk. Always test first!
- Nav Menu Roles Bridge (free): The free Nav Menu Roles plugin lets you customize who can see which menu items based on user roles. This plugin adds a bridge to also let you restrict menu items based on membership plan, too.
- WooCommerce Subscription Gifting (free, in beta): If you want to sell group memberships, check out Teams for Memberships. If you sell recurring memberships with the Subscriptions plugin and you want someone to “gift” a membership to another, you can use this add-on to allow subscription gifting. Here’s a tutorial on creating gift subscriptions.
- Memberships CLI Import (free) This is a community plugin to add CSV import support via CLI, letting developers import members via the command line without timeouts.
Translations ↑ Back to top
Memberships is translation-ready, and the text-domain is:
Please review our document on translating extensions, specifically the section about SkyVerge plugins, as this will apply to Memberships.
Incompatible plugins ↑ Back to top
Memberships is compatible with most plugins and themes out-of-the-box. However, we cannot guarantee compatibility with every WordPress plugin or WooCommerce extension. These plugins have known incompatibilities, and cannot be used with WooCommerce Memberships.
- Post Type Switcher: This plugin results in thousands of duplicated memberships and events. The issue has been logged but has not been fixed, and the plugin therefore cannot be used with Memberships.
- WP Ultimate Recipe: Recipes cannot be restricted by Memberships by default. Here is a snippet you can use at your own risk.
Troubleshooting ↑ Back to top
If you run into issues while using WooCommerce Memberships, please take the following steps:
- Issues with content dripping or membership events? Memberships can act in unexpected ways with some server or site timezone settings, especially with other plugins like Sensei. For best results, the WordPress timezone under Settings > General should be a location-based timezone, rather than a UTC offset (for example, “USA: New York” instead of “UTC-4”).
- Emails not sending? Please ensure they’re enabled under WooCommerce > Settings > Emails.
- Not seeing email content settings for your plan? Please look at the email settings themselves under WooCommerce > Settings > Emails to ensure they’re enabled. If all emails are disabled (as they are by default), email content won’t be shown for the plan.
- If your members have trouble renewing, please ensure that your membership product is purchasable — if non-members cannot purchase, expired members cannot purchase either.
Still experiencing issues? We’re happy to help out! Please submit a request to the help desk and include a description of what’s going wrong along with your system report (found under WooCommerce > System Status).
Questions & Support ↑ Back to top
Have a question before you buy? Please fill out this pre-sales form.
Already purchased and need some assistance? Please get in touch via the help desk.