The Affirm payment method lets your store accept monthly payments for purchases.
- Set a minimum/maximum spend to use Affirm as an option
- Select whether to promote Affirm as a payment method
Requirements ↑ Back to top
- An SSL Certificate.
- An Affirm account.
- Your store currency must be set to USD.
- Customer address must be U.S. address to see Affirm options.
Setup and Configuration ↑ Back to top
- Head to: WooCommerce > Settings > Payments.
- Select Affirm.
- Enable/Disable – Enable to use. Disable to turn off.
- Enter a Title and Description shown to customers during checkout (optional).
- Enable Affirm Sandbox if developing or testing before going live. Remember to disable when done.
- Enter the Public API Key and Private API Key from your Affirm account.
- Affirm account must be approved for LIVE mode to work.
- Select Transaction Mode
- Authorize obtains payment authorization only
- Authorize and Capture obtains authorization and captures funds.
- Select Checkout Mode
- Modal triggers a pop-up during checkout
- Redirect takes the customer offsite to check out
- Select Cancel Affirm Page
- Cart Page – takes customer to cart
- Payment Page – takes customer back to payment
- Enter your Affirm Promo ID (optional) to display Affirm with different styling, messaging, or loan terms. Contact Affirm for a Promo ID.
- Select an Affirm Color – Blue, Black or White for the logo.
- Show Learn More to display a link in Affirm monthly payment messaging (optional).
- Promo Messaging – untick all boxes (recommended if you offer other preferred payment methods); tick boxes if you wish to promote Affirm as a payment plan method
- Cart (see example in Customer Usage)
- Set Order Minimum (optional) – numerical value.
- Set Order Maximum (optional) – numerical value.
- Enable Debug if troubleshooting. Otherwise, leave disabled.
- Leave box unticked for Enable Enhanced Analytics.
- Save changes.
Sandbox Test Values ↑ Back to top
- When checking out with Affirm Sandbox, use your real name. Trying things like “Mister Panda” will not work. As Affirm’s name filter takes out prefixes like Mister and will throw an error when you try to pass things like “Mister Panda” as the name. Try a regular name and it should work fine.
- Use a real cell phone number
- Use a real birthday
- Use 1234 for the last 4 of the SSN
- Use 1234 for the pin
Force SSL ↑ Back to top
Your site/store is required to have a secure checkout and an SSL certificate.
- Go to: WooCommerce > Settings > Advanced.
Note: Setting is under WooCommerce > Settings > Checkout > Checkout options prior to WooCommerce 3.4.
- Enable Force Secure Checkout.
- Save changes.
Customer Usage ↑ Back to top
What customers see on the front end when checking out.
Customers (U.S. only) can see promo messaging in cart, if you ticked the box for Cart page.
Customers (U.S. only) can select Affirm as a payment method on your store’s checkout page.
They are presented with the Affirm flow to complete payment and will see a screen with payment plans of different duration.
Order Reviews ↑ Back to top
Under WooCommerce > Orders, every order paid with Affirm contains a transaction number with link to the Affirm merchant portal at the top. You can also prompt Affirm to issue refunds from the order view.
Troubleshooting ↑ Back to top
Customer receives an error when attempting to pay via Affirm.
Ensure that you have input the correct keys; and you have entered live (not test) keys when in live mode.
Frequently Asked Questions ↑ Back to top
Affirm is not showing. ↑ Back to top
- Your site’s currency is set to USD. Go to: WooCommerce > Settings > General > Currency.
- Customers have a U.S.-based billing address to use Affirm.
- SSL is enabled.
- Your site is in Live (not Test) mode.
Nothing happens when customer attempts to pay with Affirm. ↑ Back to top
- Theme is missing wp_head() or wp_footer() calls.
- Old overridden template files from WooCommerce inside your theme.
- Loading headers/footers in a non-standard way. WooCommerce uses get_header()’s get_header action to init the checkout and load scripts. If you are not using get_header() you either need to do so, or you need to trigger the get_header action manually using: do_action( ‘get_header ); in your custom header loader.
Is it possible to override templates on the Affirm pages? ↑ Back to top
No. These fixed/static pages from Affirm.
Why should the Enhanced Analytics box be unticked? ↑ Back to top
At this time the feature is inactive on stores. The information can only be accessed by an Affirm representative.
Questions and Feedback ↑ Back to top
Have a question before you buy? Please fill out this pre-sales form.
Already purchased and need some assistance? Get in touch with a Happiness Engineer via the Help Desk.