WooCommerce Subscriptions is actively in development. This roadmap provides a guide to the current development plan. It’s provided to show which version a new feature will be introduced or when a particular feature was introduced. It also include information about underlying changes for developers and potential upcoming behavior changes for existing features.
As a general rule, minor versions, such as 1.3.4 and 1.3.5, are released more frequently (fortnightly/monthly) with bug fixes, while major new features are introduced infrequently in new major versions, e.g. 1.3, 1.4 or 2.0.
Version 2.3 ↑ Back to top
Subscriptions version 2.3 is currently in active development. A few of the most popular feature requests are currently in development for it, including:
- a feature to define the number of cycles a recurring coupon discounts. For example, a $10 coupon may be used to discount only the first 6 months of a subscription.
- a way to charge the full recurring payments for a synchronized subscription product at the time of sign-up
- a way to create an invoice from a new, manually added subscription which a customer must pay in order to activate the subscription.
A feature to provide a shipping schedule that differs to the billing schedule, which makes it possible to sell subscription products that, for example, ship monthly but are charged annually, is also being actively developed but due to size of the feature, it is unlikely to make it into this release..
A full migration to WooCommerce 3.0’s new architecture is also planned for this release, which makes it very difficult to provide an estimated release date. It is not expected to be released until 2018.
Version 2.2 ↑ Back to top
Version 2.2. of Subscriptions was entirely dedicated to WooCommerce 3.0 compatibility. It did not introduce any requested features, and instead began the process to migrate the codebase to the new CRUD architecture.
Version 2.1 ↑ Back to top
Version 2.1 of Subscriptions introduced:
- Automatic retry system for failed renewal payments (dunning).
- Advanced subscription reports, including reporting on:
- Subscriber churn
- Average subscriber lifetime value
- Revenue forecasts based on upcoming renewals
- Retention curve for the life of your subscribers
- New subscription emails to notify store managers when:
- a subscription expires
- a renewal payment fails
- a subscription is suspended by the subscriber
Subscriptions v2.1 is now now available.
Version 2.0 ↑ Back to top
- Purchase multiple different subscription products in the same transaction (for payment gateways which support it). Note: it’s already possible for a customer to purchase multiple subscriptions, they just need to checkout separately for each subscription.
- New Add/Edit Subscription administration screen for manually adding or changing a subscription’s details – rather than having to do it from the Edit Order screen.
- For developers: a new subscription object, to replace the current subscription array, making it much easier to get the details of a subscription. The subscription key identifier will also be deprecated in favor of a real ID.
- For developers: subscription endpoints for the WooCommerce REST API
Version 1.5 ↑ Back to top
- Purchase multiple products and a subscription in the same checkout.
- Payment date sync – align payment/expiration dates automatically.
- Support quantities – instead of forcing subscription products to be sold individually, allow a customer to choose the quantity to purchase.
- New Subscription Switched emails.
- New Scheduling System to allow for payment date synchronization which potentially needs to process a queue of thousands of payments due at the same time.
Version 1.5 is now available!
Version 1.4 ↑ Back to top
- Complete database restructure to remove performance bottlenecks for sites with 5,000+ subscriptions
- Upgrade/downgrade subscriptions from one product to another
- Change payment method on a subscription
- Subscription specific emails using the WooCommerce 2.0 Email API to allow for customization and modification of subscription related emails
- New Subscription Cancelled email send to store managers
- Improve memory usage by working with the WooCommerce 2.0 dynamic payment gateway loading system
Payment date sync (aligning payment/expiration dates automatically)1
Version 1.4 is now available!
Other Features ↑ Back to top
All development is driven by the needs of store managers just like you. If you want a feature not included here, please visit the WooCommerce Ideas forum and either vote up an existing request or add a new request for the feature.
Caveat ↑ Back to top
This roadmap should be used as a guide only. Software development is a complex undertaking and occasionally a feature which may look at the outset to be only a few days work can turn into weeks or even months of development time. To compound the difficulty in estimation, difficult bugs are occasionally reported which can take weeks or months to fix, which is time which was intended to be spent on new feature development. As a result, release dates may be pushed back or features may be pushed back to later versions to allow for the release of features which have already been developed.