In this Getting Started guide, we teach you how to set up a website with WooCommerce.
Choose Hosting ↑ Back to top
You need to be running WordPress on a self-hosted site.
We have partnered with a few hosting companies that offer pre-installs of WordPress, WooCommerce, our Storefront theme and ecommerce-specific features, such as a dedicated IP and SSL certificate to keep your store protected and secure.
Install WordPress ↑ Back to top
Now you have a space to start building your website. To lay a foundation, use the free WordPress software platform.
Many hosting companies have one-click WordPress installation available, so be sure to look for this option or ask if it’s available. Otherwise, you can download from WordPress.org and then install by following instructions at: How to install WordPress
With your website up and running, it’s time to install e-commerce functionality with WooCommerce. There are three ways to do this.
- Create a free account on WooCommerce.com
- Sign-up for an account on WordPress.com and WooCommerce.com
- Select from:
- A pre-installed solution with a trusted host
- Auto-installing WooCommerce if you have a WordPress site already
- Download the zip file and do it yourself
- Download the WooCommerce plugin
- Download the plugin
- Go to your website
- Go to: Dashboard > Plugins > Add New > Upload
- Select the downloaded plugin
- Search for the WooCommerce plugin from within your website
- Go to your website
- Go to: Dashboard > Plugins > Add New > Search Plugins
- Search for “WooCommerce”
Upon activating the plugin, you are prompted with a Setup Wizard. We strongly advise following these steps, as it takes you through initial setup.
Pick a Theme ↑ Back to top
In the Setup Wizard mentioned above, you will be asked to pick a theme. The theme you choose will determine the starting look and layout of your store/site (though you can customize it from there!). You can use a free theme included with WordPress or purchase a premium theme.
If Storefront isn’t for you, there are lots of other themes that work great with WooCommerce.
Extend WooCommerce ↑ Back to top
You can start a store/website for free and scale up as your customer base and revenue grow. Each extension is purchased on a subscription that gives you access to support and product updates. A subscription is billed annually.
Learn More ↑ Back to top
To learn more about working with WooCommerce:
- Read our WooCommerce documentation