Overview ↑ Back to top
Permalink is short for “permanent link”. Permalinks are permanent URL structures used to help organize the content of your website (pages, posts, products, etc.) so it can be efficiently navigated, shared, and referenced by users and bots.
Permalink settings for WooCommerce can be found at WordPress Admin > Settings > Permalinks.
From here you can configure the URL structure for your shop and product pages.
For best practice, permalink structures should contain keywords relating to the content they help categorize.
Taxonomy Permalinks ↑ Back to top
There are three settings which control the bases of your categories, terms and attributes:
- Product category base – The default product category base is product-category. An example would be
- Product tag base – The default product tag base is product-tag. An example would be
- Product attribute base – The default product attribute base will optionally use a custom base before /attribute-name/attribute/. An example without anything set would be
yourdomain.com/color/blue. If you set a custom base, an example would be
yourdomain.com/attribute/size/mediumwhere attribute is designated for the base.
Product Permalinks ↑ Back to top
There are four settings to choose from for the permalink base used for products:
- Default – If you are not using pretty permalinks, Default will be the only option available to you and will use ID-based URLs. An example would be
yourdomain.com/?product=111. If you are using pretty permalinks, the product base will be
- Shop base – The shop base will use the shop page name. An example would be
- Shop base with category – The shop base with category will use the shop page name first, then add the product category name. An example would be
- Custom base – The custom base will allow you to set custom text before the product name. An example would be
Please Note: The product Custom base setting should NOT conflict with the Taxonomy permalink settings. If you set the product base to
shop for example, you should NOT set the product category base to
shop too, as this will not be unique and will cause a conflict. WordPress requires something unique so it can distinguish categories from products.