WooCommerce allows shop owners to automatically geolocate customers and display proper tax rates and shipping methods specific to the customer’s location.
In order to determine the correct customer location, WooCommerce is integrated with MaxMind Geolocation, allowing WooCommerce to download the most recent geolocation database. Starting in WooCommerce 3.9, geolocation is enabled via the WooCommerce MaxMind Geolocation Integration.
Setting up the WooCommerce MaxMind Geolocation Integration:
- Go to: WooCommerce > Settings > General
- Scroll to: General options
- Next to “Default customer address”, choose “Geolocate” or “Geolocate (with page caching support)”
After geolocation is enabled, it’s necessary to configure the MaxMind Geolocation in the integrations tab on WooCommerce’s settings page. Below is explained how to do this.
Create an account on MaxMind ↑ Back to top
1/ To create an account on MaxMind Geolocation, go to: https://www.maxmind.com/en/geolite2/signup.
2/ On the registration page, complete the form with your information, like name and company name. If you are not sure what to choose as “Industry” and “Intended use” fields you can fill as “eCommerce” and “Price localization” respectively.
3/ After submitting you’ll get an email with a link to set your password shortly. Click on that link and choose a password.
Create a MaxMind License Key ↑ Back to top
Now that you have an account on the MaxMind website you will be able to create a license key.
- Go to: https://www.maxmind.com/en/account
- Select the “My License Key” tab in your user account dashboard.
- Select “Generate new license key”.
Next, fill in the form to generate a license key.
- Add a description (just as the name of your store)
- Choose “No” next to “Will this key be used for GeoIP Update?”
- Select “Confirm”.
You will be presented with a new key. Copy this key straight away as it will be shown only once.
Add MaxMind Geolocation License Key to WooCommerce settings ↑ Back to top
Finally, you need to add this key to your WooCommerce settings.
- Go to: WooCommerce > Settings > Integration > WooCommerce MaxMind Geolocation
- Paste the license key
- Select “Save changes”
Now your WooCommerce store is ready to geolocate customers with the MaxMind Geolocation Integration.