We sometimes update the default templates when a new version of WooCommerce is released. This applies to major releases (WooCommerce 2.2, 2.6 and 3.0) but also to minor releases (WooCommerce 3.8.0).
As of version 3.3, most themes will look great with WooCommerce.
If, however, you are using a theme with older templates or an older version of WooCommerce, you may need to update templates yourself or contact the theme author for an update.
- Most theme authors fix themes in a timely manner, so you only need to update your theme to get the updated templates.
- You need to update templates yourself if you modified templates or are using a child theme.
Otherwise you need to select and use a different theme that already uses current WooCommerce templates.
How to update outdated templates
We need to determine what templates to update, make a backup of old templates and then restore any customizations.
- Go to: WooCommerce > Status> System Status. Scroll to the end of the page where there is a list of templates overridden by your theme/child theme and a warning message that they need to be updated. For example, the template cart-shipping.php is outdated:
- Save a backup of the outdated template.
- Copy the default template from wp-content/plugins/woocommerce/templates/[path-to-the-template] and paste it in your theme folder found at: wp-content/themes/[path-to-theme]
- Open the template you pasted into the theme folder with a text editor of choice, such as Notepad++, and replicate any changes that you had to the previous template in your new, updated template file.
We recognize that it can be time consuming. This is why we try to avoid changing WooCommerce templates, but sometimes it is wise to break backwards compatibility.
FAQ ↑ Back to top
Where can I find the latest version of WooCommerce? ↑ Back to top
If you’re looking for the default templates to use for updating, you want to use the latest version of WooCommerce. There are a few easy ways to get the templates:
- Access the files via FTP if your current WooCommerce installation is up to date
- Download the latest version from WordPress.org.
- Download all versions from the GitHub repository.
Why don’t you make a button to click and update everything? ↑ Back to top
It’s impossible to make a video or one-click update. Why? Because there are thousands of themes, and every theme is coded differently. One size does not fit all.