The Currency Converter Widget for WooCommerce allows you to show a widget listing currencies that can be used by customers to dynamically switch the displayed currency prices.
Installation ↑ Back to top
- Download the .zip file from your WooCommerce account.
- Go to: WordPress Admin > Plugins > Add New and Upload Plugin with the file you downloaded with Choose File.
- Install Now and Activate the extension.
More information at: Install and Activate Plugins/Extensions.
Open Exchange Rate API ↑ Back to top
Entering your API Key
If you have your own key, optionally add it via WooCommerce > Settings > General > Open Exchange Rate API.
Note: Open Exchange Rate API was found at WooCommerce > Settings > API > Keys/Apps prior to WooCommerce 3.4.
Don’t forget to Save changes.
Setup and Configuration ↑ Back to top
To add the Currency Converter widget:
- Go to: Appearance > Widgets.
- Drag the WooCommerce Currency Converter, listed under Available Widgets on the left, to one of your sidebars. Options are displayed:
- Select and enter your preferences:
- Title: Name the widget
- Currency codes: Enter one (1) currency code per line. See a list supported currencies at: http://openexchangerates.org/api/currencies.json
- Currency display mode: Buttons or Select Box (both shown below in Usage)
- Widget message: Note displayed to users.
- Show currency symbols in widget: Default is currency codes only.
- Show reset link – If enabled, a ‘reset’ button will be shown to reset the currency back to your store’s default.
- Disable location detection: Tick to turn off detection of the user’s location. Geolocation is included as part of the Currency Converter widget, using locale to automatically display currency for their country.
Usage ↑ Back to top
What the user sees on the frontend.
With Buttons and Geolocation enabled, detecting user in a country using the euro and highlighting EUR:
With Select Box and Geolocation enabled, detecting user in a country using the euro and pre-selecting in dropdown:
With Buttons and Currency Symbols selected and Geolocation enabled, detecting user in a country using the euro and highlighting €:
With Buttons selected and Geolocation disabled, unable to detect same user’s location and defaulting to USD.
All prices (formatted using the woocommerce_price() core function) are changed to selected, including:
- Product prices
- Sale prices
- Cart/checkout totals
Prices are displayed with the currency symbol, e.g., $10 and not 10 USD.
Example of a U.S. online store, but the cart displaying currency conversion in EUR/€
Customers will still pay in your base currency. Prices are for display and informational purposes only.
Frequently Asked Questions ↑ Back to top
Missing currency symbol. ↑ Back to top
If you are converting prices to a non-WC supported currency, you can add it and its symbol using the snippet at Add a Custom Currency Symbol.
Is it possible to display the widget somewhere other than the sidebar? ↑ Back to top
Yes, you can use the shortcode
[woocommerce_currency_converter] in the location you wish. If working in the template files, you can use the
do_shortcode function like so:
echo do_shortcode( '[woocommerce_currency_converter] ' );
However, be aware that only the default USD and EUR can be displayed with the shortcode ‘as is.’
To use additional currency codes, you need to pass those currency codes to the shortcode. For example:
[woocommerce_currency_converter currency_codes="AUD, USD, GBP, EUR"]
You can change between buttons and a dropdown for currency selection by adding the following:
[woocommerce_currency_converter currency_codes="AUD, USD, GBP, EUR" currency_display="select"]
Slow page loads/no rates pulled in/conversion not working. ↑ Back to top
Ensure that your server firewall is not blocking requests to the API. The IP address for the service is 188.8.131.52
Shipping options not converting. ↑ Back to top
The Currency Converter Widget can only convert shipping prices if they are displayed using radio buttons – not dropdown menus.
Using country flags instead of country codes. ↑ Back to top
Flags can be used instead of codes using this code snippet.
Questions and Feedback ↑ Back to top
Have a question before you buy? Please fill out this pre-sales form.
Already purchased and need some assistance? Get in touch with a Happiness Engineer via the Help Desk.