Coupons are a great way to offer discounts and rewards to your customers, and can help promote sales across your shop.
If you want to use coupons with WooCommerce, you first need to enable them in WooCommerce. Go to: WooCommerce > Settings > Checkout to enable coupons.
Adding a coupon ↑ Back to Top
To add a coupon, go to: WooCommerce > Coupons. You can edit existing coupons; or create a new coupon by selecting Add Coupon.
A set of options will appear. At the top, fill in these fields:
- Coupon code – Code used by the customer to apply the coupon. This must be unique as it identifies the coupon.
- Description (optional) – Describe the coupon. (For internal use.)
There are three sections you can use to add restrictions and limits for the coupon: General, Usage Restriction and Usage Limits.
General ↑ Back to Top
- Discount type :
- Cart discount – A fixed total discount for the entire cart. For example, if the cart contains 3 t-shirts @ $20 each = $60, a coupon for $10 off will give a discount of $10.
- Cart % discount – A percentage discount for the entire cart. For example, if the cart contains 3 t-shirts @ $20 each = $60, a coupon for 10% off will give a discount of $6.
- Product discount – A fixed total discount for selected products only. The customer will receive the fixed amount of discount per product item. For example, 3 t-shirts @ $20 each with a coupon for $10 off, will give a discount of $30.
- Product % discount – A percentage discount for selected products only. For example, 3 t-shirts @ $20 each with a coupon for 10% off, will give a discount of $6 or 3 * 10% of $20.
- Coupon amount – Fixed value or percentage off depending on the discount type you choose. Entered without the currency unit or a percent sign as these will be added automatically, e.g., ’10’ for£10 or 10%.
- Allow free shipping – Removes shipping cost when coupon is used. Requires free shipping be enabled.
- Coupon expiry date – Date the coupon should expire and can no longer be used. Expiry happens at 12:00 am or 00:00 on the date chosen. If you want a coupon to be valid through Christmas Day but invalid the moment Christmas is over, set the expiration date to YYYY-12-26 as it will expire on YYYY-12-26 00:00. It uses your site’s time zone setting at Settings > General > Timezone in WordPress.
Usage Restriction ↑ Back to Top
- Minimum spend – This field allows you to set the minimum subtotal needed to use the coupon. Note: The sum of the cart subtotal + tax is used to determine the minimum amount.
- Maximum spend – This field allows you to set the maximum subtotal allowed when using the coupon.
- Individual use only – Tick the box if you don’t want this coupon to be used in combination with other coupons.
- Exclude sale items – Tick the box if you don’t want this coupon to apply to products on sale. Per-cart coupons do not work if a sale item is added afterward.
- Products – Selection of products that the cart must contain for the coupon to be valid; or which products are discounted for Product Discounts.
- Exclude products –A list of products that the cart must not contain for the coupon to be valid for Cart Discounts; or, in the case of Product Discounts, a list of individual products that are not included in the discount (though the excluded products can still be in the cart).
- Product categories – A list of product categories that the cart must contain for the coupon to be valid; or which categories are discounted for Product Discounts.
- Exclude categories – A list of product categories that the cart must not contain for the coupon to be valid for Cart Discounts; or which categories are not discounted for Product Discounts.
- Email restrictions – A list of email addresses that are allowed to use a coupon. This is checked against the customer’s billing email.
Usage Limits ↑ Back to Top
- Usage limit per coupon – How many times a coupon can be used by all customers before being invalid.
- Limit usage to X items – How many items the coupon can be applied before being invalid. This field is only displayed if there is one or more products that the coupon can be used with, and is configured under the Usage Restrictions tab.
- Usage limit per user – How many times a coupon can be used by each customer before being invalid for that customer.
Once you’ve configured all the settings, select Publish and your coupon is ready to be used.
Sending coupons ↑ Back to Top
Once you’ve published your coupon, you can send it to your customers: just copy the title and communicate it with your customers through email and social media. The restrictions, limits and general settings will determine how the coupon can be used by the customers.
FAQs ↑ Back to Top
How do coupons impact tax calculations?
Coupons are applied to the product price before tax is calculated.